Sunday, June 26, 2011

What to Do When the Star of Your Show Doesn't Show Up

And so the day of my drama students' show arrives! Ten minutes before the show, "The Frog Prince," everyone is in costume, waiting in the wings, cameras focused... but wait.... where's the frog? The frog in "The Frog Prince" is nowhere to be found! Turns out froggy's dear mum thought the show was set to go on another time... oh dear... but no worries... breathe in... breathe out. After quickly explaining the situation to the audience, I had a few volunteers who stepped up to do the role of my missing frog prince. One little girl in the audience had a frog costume on and she stood on stage for a good 2 minutes while I said all the lines. When my little stand in got stage fright, the next frog was my stage manager; she also just stood there but acted out appropriately while I whispered the lines to her. My wonderful actors (don't forget, they are only 3 years old) gamely went along with all the changes and said all their lines and did all their cues beautifully! Needless to say, the (frog-less) show was still a huge success! Now that's what you call a lesson in improvisation.

1 comment:

  1. Little things give the biggests surprises and that really does apply for kids...keeps life exciting :)You should have got a parent to stand in :)

    ReplyDelete